Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Martin Luther King


I really think it's great that people take some time and do some community service on Martin Luther King Day. It's sort of like Thanksgiving; one of those holidays where the meaning isn't skewed by candy, presents, or Hallmark cards. And I'm sure Dr. King would be glad to know that people are honoring his legacy by doing some hard work for less fortunate people and championing their causes. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like all anyone does on MLK day anymore is repaint daycare centers from one bad color to another different bad color. Or maybe sweep some city street. I think the new initiative should be a little bit more ambitious.

1 comment:

  1. i could get on board with that if i could ever get off of work for MLK. not sure that's how his legacy was meant to be carried out either. i spend the day resenting my friends who have off rather than celebrating his works.

    ReplyDelete