Thursday, April 15, 2010

T9 word and Quik text


It took me a while to get used to using T9 word on my cell phone. If you don't know what T9 word is, it's the predictive text messaging option on most phones. Once you figure out how it works, and how to cycle through the word choices, it's pretty amazing. One thing I have never used is the quick text option. I can't say I am one to abbreviate my text messages; for example I'm never writing "where R U" or "where r u goin 2nite" etc. I just find it faster to write the whole thing out. But the quick text thing boggles my mind. It's the pre-made text messages. I finally looked at what the options were on my phone the other day and I can't imagine a situation where I would even say half the options. "You're the best" I think if I wanted to say that, I wouldn't cycle through the options to find that and I wouldn't even think that would be something someone would say that often. And if they did say that often, I think it would lose some of its power. Other options include: "You've gotta be here to enjoy this" I would think "You had to be there" would be more useful or common. "Let's meet", "Check this out", "a baby!!!","would you like to join me for a date?",and "yes." Now, "a baby!!"? is that something that needs to be a quick text? And what exec heard the ideas for the quick text options and thought A baby!! would be acceptable? Imagine that conference room. "so uh, what do you have for the quick text options to be included on all the new phones this season?" "well, thought of some really great ones. We got, "A baby!!" and "Would you like to join me for a date" and "yes."" "Boy, you guys have really outdone yourself this time. this is great! Your market analysis has really hit the mark, everyone loves saying "yes" in text messages and "a baby" and "would you like to join me for a date" really pulls at the heartstrings... and also very common." I think "I'm drunk" and "come over" would be more widely used. Plus those are often misspelled when used in conjunction with each other. That's just my personal opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty ridiculous. Probably reviewed by non-native English speakers. T9 Word was pretty fast once you got used to it, it would be funny if my iphone has a setting for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of market analysis...you are only hitting about 20% of your target demographic, as the other 80% of us have had PDA's since 2006. I've been looking for a shortcut to say I'm drunk come over for years though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, I am pretty sure the iphone does have predicative text. I mean, I don't have an iphone but I challenged a guy in my office that I could text faster than he could on his iphone thinking he didn't have predicative text, but he did. Needless to say, he beat me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, it's unfortunate that most of my friends have smart phones. I am pretty sure you don't even need a phone, you just need a tiger electronics brick breaker game and some device to check your fantasy team. Preferably simultaneously to playing brick breaker.

    ReplyDelete