Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Counting


Last weekend I was counting with my four year old nephew; Trying to teach him the ins and outs of why counting is important and trying to show him that the actual symbols of numbers mean something. I was noticing that he was counting to twenty pretty well but skipping thirteen, and getting fourteen and fifteen out of order, but if I pointed to 7 out of sequence without him counting he would just guess random numbers. That's when I realized he wasn't making the connection between the symbol and his counting. When he counted to 20 with no problem I'd say now count to thirty...and so on. I think it's funny though that we as a society have concluded that there is a point where counting doesn't really matter. So you know that after a billion is a trillion and after a trillion is a "whatever..I'm not really sure who cares." "Uh, I think that's enough counting... no need to learn anymore." See what I mean? I thought it was a zillion, or a gazillion. Turns out it's neither. It's a quadrillion you dummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment